Synchronous Reluctance Next Generation Efficient Motors for Electric Vehicles
- Framework: FP7
- Type: STREP
- Status: Ongoing
- Category: Electrification (FEV/PHEV)
- End Date: 30/09/2016
- Vehicles: Passenger cars
- Website: http://www.syrnemo.eu/
SyrNemo is an innovative synchronous reluctance machine (SYRM) with higher power density and higher driving cycle efficiency at lower cost than state of the art permanent magnet (PM) synchronous machines.
- The mass and volume specific power densities are increased by approximately 5%.
- The dependency on rare earth PMs is eliminated by using either no permanent magnets or optional ferrites. The proposed rotor design allows for use of future magnet materials with high energy density once they are available on the market.
- The proposed SYRM is easy to manufacture, dismantle, and recycle. This way manufacturing cost can be reduced by 20% and more compared to PM synchronous machines (PMSMs).
- The insulation system will be designed for a total lifetime of 10 years and 10,000 operating hours to reduce cost.
- The proposed SYRM has a high efficiency over a wide range of speed and torque. Therefore, the overall driving cycle efficiency of SYRM can be improved by 5–15% compared to PMSMs.